Friday, May 13, 2011

Easter Tradition

I love my family’s Easter tradition. On Saturday, the day before Easter, my mom, my two sisters and I bake sweets. My favorite part is when we make “kulich”, a Russian Easter cake. It has a rich mixture of sweetened curds, butter and raisins; it’s so DELICIOUS. J Usually we have one big kulich and a couple small ones. On the top we sprinkle with different toppings. We also boil eggs and put Easter stickers on them. Everything else is pretty much the same. We always have Russian food like olivye, pelmeni, kartoshka, vinegret, and shashliki.
Every Easter after church my family gets together and we eat lunch. That is the time when we get to eat all the yummy food. Kulich reminds us that when Jesus Christ had risen he ate a meal with his apostles. Since we only make kulich on Easter, we place it in the center of the table because that is the most important dish. When we start eating the dessert, we make sure everybody gets a piece of the big kulich. Then we talk about Easter, and I can imagine Jesus eating with his apostles. I’m so glad we have this tradition!

1 comment: